Stop Looking for Red Cars

 

Have you ever heard the phrase, "Easy to spot a red car if you're always looking for one"? 

Literally speaking, it is true. I never saw white 2019 Toyota Camrys until I bought one. Now they are everywhere. I'm sure there were plenty of them before. I just never noticed because I wasn't looking for them.

I have found it to be true in life, relationships, and especially in the workplace. I know because I've been there. I went through a time period where everything was so negative around me, all I saw were red cars (bad things) in my workplace. Maybe you've been there too.

I promise if you slow down and look for the yellow cars (good things) in education, you'll find they are there. If you're having trouble spotting them, I have a few tricks that can help!


No matter your current mindset, here are 7 tips to help you find the yellow cars!

1. Look for good things in your room. When things start getting hectic and it feels like all the kids are going crazy...stop. Scan the room. I can guarantee it isn't all of the class (even though it feels like it). Look for the good behaviors you want to see and reward them! Remember: Silent classrooms don't always equate to more learning. If the kids are noisy because they are excited and engaged in the topic, that's a yellow car--not red. 

2. Be the yellow car. The best way to add yellow cars to your day is to help someone else. Put your coworker's favorite drink on their desk during recess duty. Our school has a Sunshine Cart that rolls through randomly with teacher snacks/treats. Start one of those! High five kids in the hallway. Tell someone you appreciate them. Smile.

3. Remember they are kids. Sometimes it is easy to forget. When you're feeling overwhelmed, one hack is to look at your students' hands (if they are in elementary. Ha!). Look how little their hands are. It'll remind you this is someone's baby. You can also keep a sticky note at your desk that says, "They are only 8 years old." Both of these tricks can help shift your perspective of behaviors. 

4. Switch your role. It's easy to get caught up in your 4 walls. Switch your role sometime! Go observe a colleague or even a local school district. This can help you get excited again. I'm sure you will also find something you can implement immediately. It's good to stay fresh and keep trying new things!  


5.  Take a mental health day. It took me 4 years to get up the courage to do this. I did it for the first time last year. I chose the prettiest day on the 7-day forecast. I turned in my sub form with "personal day" checked. An awesome colleague said it best: "Just write in that you have an appointment. The appointment is with yourself." 

I slept in. Tanned in the yard. Drank ice-cold Pepsi. Read a book for enjoyment. It was the most refreshing, yellow-car day. Guess what? Nothing happened. The kids were fine. I returned the next day ready to go (and a little sunburnt). And I'd do it again. 😏


6. Unfollow what is toxic to you. When I was in my red-car mode, I had to unfollow some great people. I had to unfollow parents who posted negative school posts (I was always worried they were talking about me, and I would make myself absolutely sick over it). 

Block the negative teacher Tik-Tok videos if they trigger you to see more red cars. It doesn't mean the people are bad. It only means their posts are toxic to you at this time. It's okay and not personal. Protect your mental space. Ignorance truly is bliss sometimes.

7. Play. Play with the kids. You may be the only adult in their life who takes the time. Play basketball with a student at recess. Play KidzBop and have a little dance party. Listen to their jokes (and crack jokes of your own). Look for opportunities for fun and connection. You'll see "yellow cars" everywhere! 

It's no secret that education is going through a rough patch, nationally. Many believe there will be a nationwide mass exodus of teachers at the end of this year. Red cars are piling up all around us. Don't get me wrong: I'm not asking you to ignore the major issues. I'm also not asking for toxic positivity. 

It's just...we could really use more yellow cars right about now. 

Even if you are leaving education or switching districts, you have to find something to get you through. Find those yellow cars or make some of your own if you have to! The kids need you to see the good. 

You'll feel better, too. 💛


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mustard, Ketchup, and Pickle

Should You Teach in the Town You Live In?

'Twas the Night Before the MAP Test