Sneaky Science Tricks!

If you know me, you probably know I love teaching science. It is my thing. I wish I could teach it all day long! I mean, I made my whole classroom theme a mad scientist lab one time.  




Because science isn't allotted much time during the school day, I try to bring in science as much as possible. 

One of my favorite ways to incorporate more science is through little references/commands during the day. We will call it sneaky science. This, of course, does not replace formal science instruction; it is a fun way to reinforce concepts all year! 

Mrs. R's Seven Sneaky Science Tips:

1. Open the circuit. Teach a quick lesson about circuits using a circuit stick (Amazon link). How many times a day do you ask someone to turn off/on the lights? I challenge you to no longer allow that phrase in your room. You and your students must say "open the circuit" or "close the circuit." 



2. Straight lines. You may know that light travels in straight lines. Do you know what else travels in straight lines? Your students! Tell students to "travel like light." Students will know to travel in straight lines. If you need them to make a turn in the hallway, you can tell them to "refract" their light. 😄 (Your Einsteins may argue that they should run since light travels at fast speeds). Ha!

3. Happy birthday? Young scientists often get revolution and rotation confused. I mean, I did too. I messed it up in a college presentation and got called out for it. Oops.

There is an easy way to reinforce the concept all year! No more happy birthday song. You will now sing "Happy Revolution Day" to the same tune. They made it another trip around the sun. Yipee! 

4. Scientific method challenge. We have motions to help us remember the steps of the scientific method: Question, hypothesis, plan, collect, analyze, and explain. Students will sometimes raise their hands during ELA class when they have a question. Sometimes a student will say, "Mrs. Randolph. Question." 

Then, that's my cue to turn it into a quickfire exchange. I will say, "Hypothesis." Then, they reply, "Plan." We continue going back and forth with the scientific method steps. Finally, I say, "Explain!" Then, they ask me whatever question they had. It's fun and takes 10 seconds! 

5. Coding your class. Many students learn to write a hypothesis using if/then format. Coding also uses if/then format. Example: If flappy bird passes an obstacle, then score one point. I will often use if/then format to "code" my students like they are my computers. 

"If you are finished, then turn in your paper." 

"If you do not have a pencil, then get one from the bucket." 

It's so funny because sometimes they will act like they are robots and immediately perform the command. Sometimes students will also say, "Oooh! Hypothesis format!" One clever student pointed out that the book If You Give a Mouse a Cookie is pretty much a hypothesis book. 




6. Protons. When a student is speaking negatively, you can tell them to be a proton. The class needs protons. Protons are positive! 

7. Puns! If you suspect your student is fibbing, you can ask them if they are being an "atom." Atoms make up everything, you know.  

I also work a pun/funny picture into every science lesson. I also used to find t-shirts that fit each science unit. I wonder where those went. 




Sneaky science can be a lot of fun! Do you have any sneaky science references/tips? Comment below. I would love to add more to my classroom!  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mustard, Ketchup, and Pickle

Should You Teach in the Town You Live In?

'Twas the Night Before the MAP Test