Should You Teach in the Town You Live In?

I'm a hometown girl. I loved being an Eminence Redwing growing up; I bled red and black, my bedroom was Redwing-themed, and I was decked out for every spirit day. 

I taught in my hometown for four years, but now I teach about 30 minutes away (while still living in Eminence). I'm still getting used to wearing yellow, but at least it's not paired with purple! ;) 

If you're a teacher wondering whether to apply for a job in the town you live in or if you should branch out...this list may help you weigh your decision. 

Pros/Cons of Teaching in a Town You Don't Live In:

Pros

  • Commuting:
    • The 30-minute drive is nice to get my mind right before school, and it also serves as a decompression time before I get home to my family. I (surprisingly) love it!
  • Work/life balance:
    • Having a 30-minute drive forces me to be super productive in my time there. I leave at the contracted time and work about 7 days during the summer. That is a huge change from how much I was at school when I lived one mile away.
  • Fresh Start: 
    • Most colleagues/admin at my hometown school were former teachers or coaches of mine. Some families of students remembered me being a kid/high schooler. At times, I felt like this caused me to not be taken seriously as an educator/professional. When you teach in another town, families and coworkers associate you more with your professional role than your previous roles. (However, this history can make relationships easier to build, so it really can go both ways). 
  • Pay (sometimes):
    • A neighboring district may have better pay/benefits. This wasn't a driving factor in my decision, but it was definitely welcome!
  • No Paparazzi: 
    • It's no joke that when you're a teacher, you're a celebrity. When teaching in the town I lived in, I had (self-inflicted) pressure to be very cautious. I wouldn't go to Dollar General in shorts/ripped jeans, and I sure wouldn't be caught buying alcohol. I also got approached by parents in public. Teaching in a town you don't live in relieves you of that pressure to be a teacher all the time.
  • Perspective Shift:
    • If you want to become an admin or teach college one day, I feel like it is good to have experience at several schools. Every school does things differently, and learning new things is exciting! You can take the best ideas and combine them for any future endeavors. 

Cons: 
  • Commuting:
    • Gas money. Oof. 
  • Your Children:
    • Do they follow you to your new district or stay in your hometown school? I personally wanted my son with me, but I feel like it could be an advantage for your child to go to a school you don't teach at. Life can be simpler when you're just a parent at a district and not an employee too. However, matching schedules are nice! 
  • Last-Minute Needs:
    • When I needed an emergency sub, I could run over to the school at midnight and get things prepared. If I forgot my charger at school, I could run and get it. I can't do that anymore. 
  • Disconnected Sense-of-Self Stage
    • If you're a hometown person, your school is a huge part of your identity. It's hard to leave because you don't feel like you'll be you anymore. This is a tough stage to get through.
Initially, it was hard to take the leap and apply to a district I don't live in (or plan to live in). It forced me from my comfort zone and brought confidence I never knew I had. My favorite part of this change was how it taught me to balance work/life and professional/personal.

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with teaching in your hometown. There is so much to be said about giving back to your community and serving your home. There are also many pros to teaching in a community that knows you well. However, if you're feeling like you need a change or a better work/life balance, I highly recommend commuting to another district at some point in your career! 

Would you ever teach in a town you don't live in?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mustard, Ketchup, and Pickle

'Twas the Night Before the MAP Test