Sticky Note Book Report: An Alternative to a Traditional Book Report!

Do you remember book reports in school?

I loved reading, so I had no problem reading a new book for a book report. However, I remember classmates finding any way they could to not read a book. Google summaries, watching the movie version, Spark Notes...you name it, they were using it to complete their book reports.

At some point, one of my teachers assigned us a sticky note book report. Essentially, the report happens during the reading process rather than after. I loved this format as a student!

What is a sticky note book report?

As students read, they write notes about their interaction with the text. Any time a student has a prediction, question, inference, critique, etc., he/she will write on a sticky note and place it in the book.


 I loved this project as a student. It helped promote reading engagement and even introduced me to annotating my books later in life. From the teacher side, it helps combat Google summaries.

The problem (and solution).

Now that I'm a teacher, I wanted to use the sticky note book report with my students. When you search this topic on Teachers Pay Teachers or the internet, there are not many resources to implement this. Needless to say, I felt like that needed to change! 


This kit provides all you need to launch a sticky note book report in your classroom. This kit is super flexible; just a few little changes and it could be used anywhere from 5th grade-High School!

Check out the pictures below to see what the kit includes:



If you try the sticky note book report, let me know how it goes! :) 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mustard, Ketchup, and Pickle

Should You Teach in the Town You Live In?

'Twas the Night Before the MAP Test